Saturday, April 4, 2009

Some days

Some days my job takes an emotional toll. A few years ago, when I was on-call one weekend in Yuma, I was called to a car accident. I missed the actual accident, which should have been minor but the car caught on fire and became engulfed in flames and the driver was killed. I arrived later, while the scene was being investigated, and the car was covered. But I was there when the driver's father showed up, and had to be restrained by police from going to the car. He kept yelling "That's my son." Before I could go back to the office, I had to stop at Chris' apartment and have a good cry. I wondered if I was really cut out for this job.

About a month later, on the same street, Chris and I were in an accident. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a terribly serious accident. But my eyes were swollen shut and I spent the night in the hospital and I was terrified. I believe that the accident brought Chris and I closer together, and I try every day to remember to give thanks for all of the blessings in our lives, and especially for each other.

Today was a day that reminded me why I give thanks for each and every day, why I should tell the people that I love how much I love them every chance I get. I was getting ready to go out and shoot a quick video when the office called and said a bus had gone off the road and could I go. I was told to wear my reporter hat, but I grabbed the video camera just in case. On the way there, I said a prayer for those on the bus. I held back tears as I imagined what happened and said to myself "I don't want to see this." I got there after the paramedics and helicopters had taken away the victims. About 30 employees at a local resort were on the bus on their way to work, most thrown from the bus with varying degrees of injury and one confirmed fatality. I'm glad I didn't see the scene until the victims were taken away. A witness I spoke to was clearly shaken by what she had seen. My editors were pleased with our work today, and told us so. I left the office feeling proud of myself, but the feeling quickly gave way to remembering why I was called into work today, and so tonight I pray for the recovery of those who were injured, and for the family of the young man who died.

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Wow, thank you for this reminder. It is so easy to forget how fragile life really is.