Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our new plan ...

Given how busy we've been lately, what with prep football in full swing and me starting school, we came up with this idea: Instead of realizing at 5 p.m. that we have nothing planned for dinner and nobody took anything out of the freezer, maybe we could save time and money and still eat some good meals if we would plan out our week of meals on Sundays, do all our shopping in one day, and then the rest of the week would be smooth sailing. We figured, given how much leftovers we usually have because it's just the two of us, three or four meals a week would be perfect. I also thought it would be a good idea to try to incorporate at least one new recipe each week. It went pretty good the first week (last week) but then our weekend was pretty busy (more on that in the next post!) so we never came up with a plan for this week ... hopefully this will become more of a trend. Last week's plan included two new recipes - Rosemary Chicken and Salmon with Brown Sugar and Bourbon Glaze. The third recipe was an oldie but goodie - pizza, easy to throw together for Chris one day when I had an evening function (and yes, we also eat salad).
I realize that this type of planning is common in many households, but it's new to us! Anyone have better plans or suggestions for making sure we stick to it?

3 comments:

Leia said...

I did something similar but for the whole month! Before September started I sat down and wrote out 20 meals for the entire month. But Leia, Sept has 30 days. I know but I figured there would be days we would have leftovers or I could pull out one of those frozen meals for two or whatever. I'm proud to report it is day 23 and we've only picked up dinner once (and that was a pizza to share with the family) This also includes packing a lunch for work everyday, with only one "work outing" for both Steve and I. I did include some new recipes which we did like so they will be added to the rotation. As far as grocery shopping we will usually buy our meat in bulk at Costco once a month or so and freeze. I've only had to make weekly trips for fresh produce, milk and bread. Oh and beer of course. But I think it has worked well and I like having a list to choose from instead last minute trying to rack my brain of what to eat. So I'll make a list for October and see how next month goes. PS I have a list at home on the fridge and here at work.

Laura said...

The list really does help, I put my meals on my grocery list then after doing my shopping put the list on the fridge. Sometimes too ( since I get home late a lot ) I will do meals that I make ahead of time (usually on my off day) and then just have to stick in the over or something when I get home.

Lauren Miller said...

I tried to do this exact thing with the BF, make a list of meals for the week and shop on Sunday, and I think it lasted all of two weeks. So I'm amazed at the ladies that can keep it up... especially for a whole month! The problem I run into is I get off much later than the BF and when he has to cook every night, he complains that he's a house husband. I certainly don't mind coming home to a hot meal though! Maybe this will be my motivation to try again!