Friday, August 14, 2009

DIY: Necklace Holder

A couple months ago, I got it in my head that I might wear my necklaces more if they were out where I could see them rather than in a box in a drawer in my nightstand. I told Chris I wanted to try to make a necklace holder with some pretty drawer pulls, and the following week I stumbled across these pretty, clear, pink drawer pulls at a local antique store (if I hadn't seen these, I might have ordered some from Anthropologie, which has all kinds of cute knobs).

I asked John, my mom's boyfriend, if he could bring some wood scraps with him the next time they came to Reno. He brought me a few of different widths. I picked one out, bought some spray paint, and gave it a coat.
Then, I decided where I wanted the "hooks" to go ...

Measured and marked the spots ...

And then drilled holes (with some help from Chris) in the three spots I marked. With the screws in, I covered them with tape, and gave it another couple coats of paint. Once dried, I screwed the knobs on, and screwed the necklace holder into the wall.

The places where it could use some improvement are: the screws that screw into the drawer pulls seemed to be different lengths once I put it together, and also the wood cracked when I screwed it into the wall. But, overall it's functional and I'm pretty happy with it.

4 comments:

Nanette said...

I am totally stealing this idea.

volksbloggin said...

How DIY of you!

Kelli said...

I did something like this! I put my fun knobs on a grass-covered note board and LOVE seeing my necklaces everyday!!! I truly love how crafty you are...envious, really ;)

Sarah Boggan said...

What a cute idea. I think I am totally gonna steal it too ...