Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys

On Thursday night, I went to the Reno Rodeo to shoot a little video of the Xtreme Bulls (I think they must drink Mountain Dew) for the RGJ. Of course, I know nothing about the rodeo. It was a good thing I got there early, because I had to talk to about four people (while lugging gear all over the grandstands) to figure out where I should shoot from. It turns out, in a pit under the stands with about 10 other people and a window looking right onto the dirt - but directly across from the gates where the bulls come out. I'm not sure if the rodeo is my thing ... but I am quite sure I would have enjoyed it more sitting down with a beer than standing for three hours with my camera and trying to keep dirt out of my eyes and lens. There was one event where little kids ride sheep to see how long they can stay on. My coworker told me they shave the hair a certain way to allow for the kids to hold on. I didn't think this seemed like a good idea for the sheep or the kids. So, I texted Andrea (who knows a thing or two about sheep ... and rodeos) and asked if I was right to be disturbed. Her answer was no. "Mutton bustin' is the cutest thing ever! Don't be disturbed ... enjoy the cuteness!" I guess I still have a thing or two to learn ... but I'm sure I'll be able to pick up a couple more things when I shoot the finals next weekend. Here are a few pictures I managed to get in the middle of shooting video.

No comments: