Tuesday, February 24, 2009

40 Days

When I was a baby, I was baptized Catholic. And that may have been the last time my Mom took me to church. I still don't regularly go to church as an adult (except for the occassional Christmas or Easter service) but sometime in college I started giving up something for lent. I don't remember why I started, but for the past five years or so I've given something up every year. Usually it's coffee, though sometimes it's fast food or coffee and soda, or some other variation. I think maybe it's because going without something for 40 days is a kind of a challenge, and also because I think you maybe appreciate it more after going without for a while. Again this year, I'm giving up coffee. I love my morning cup of joe, but I never feel good about being addicted to the caffeine. I don't like that if I don't have a cup one day, I can count on a headache by the afternoon. Plus, it might do me some good to ditch the calories from all the cream and sugar. So, this morning I had my last cup until at least Easter. Tomorrow's gonna be a fun day ;)

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Drink lots of water!!! It will help with the headaches. I think its good to give things up once in a while as well-it gives good perspective. Good luck!

Marina said...

Me too!!! I only have soda and coffee once or twice a week each, but even that feels gross sometimes. I am giving them both up for lent and I'm excited :)

Anonymous said...

I gave up coffee and soda for 9 months! Let me tell you, it's no walk in the park for me. :) But I think giving up something that you're really going to miss is strong of you - Good Luck!

volksbloggin said...

Good luck Tammy. It seems that everyone is giving something up for Lent, but me. I wonder if I'll cave under the peer pressure. Is Andrea and Jeremy giving up sweets again this year?