Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Frosting can fix anything

Tuesday was Erin's birthday, and I wanted to make her a Rainbow Cake, which I had seen on many a blog and thought it looked pretty. She threw a barbecue on Sunday for pretty much everyone she knows who has an April birthday, so I made the cake for the occasion.

Because I thought it might be a little time intensive (especially since I only have two round cake pans) I decided to go with a boxed lemon cake mix instead of from scratch (one less layer to color!) I mixed one box, measured it to a little more than four cups and decided to use one cup per layer, making cupcakes with the remaining batter from the second box.

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple batter.

The yellow layer was the first one I tried to take out of the pan, and this is what happened. I was a little worried, but a little frosting and all was right again. (I did a much better job getting the other layers out of the pan.)

Cooling cake

Frosting, frosting, frosting

Done!

And, the reveal!

Pretty and yummy!

Happy Birthday, Erin!

No comments: